Michael Lawrence Hamlar, MBA is a Virginia Businessman, Entrepreneur and Civic Leader. With deep expertise in mergers & acquisitions, business management, civic engagement, internet marketing, business metrics, and community evangelism. Hamlar teaches Bachelors and Master level classes at the local University and is currently pursuing a Doctorate in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance.
Mike wants more good-paying jobs in Virginia to ensure our children and grandchildren can find opportunities to come home after college. As a former Virginia Senate Candidate, owner of Hamlar-Curtis Funeral Home and Hamlar Business Broker, Mike Hamlar has been highly influenced by a family with a well-known legacy of business professionalism, community leadership and entrepreneurship success.
"I am a father of three and a graduate of Cave Spring High School, where I was a standout football player and earned a college football scholarship. After my father passed away at a young age, I gave up a potential professional NFL career and graduated from college early to move home and run the family business. I ran for Virginia Senate because I want every child to grow up with the opportunities that I had. I will lead efforts to improve education, preventing educators from teaching to the test, and make college more affordable - so our kids are prepared for the jobs of the future."
- Bachelor’s Degree from Wake Forest University where he was a Seattle Bowl champion for the Demon Deacons.
- MBA from Liberty University.
- Associate Degree from Mortuary School at John Tyler Community College
- Pursuing Doctorate in Business Administration from Walden University.
- Serves on the Secure Commonwealth Panel, Homeland Security.
- Previous Board Member of Family Service of Roanoke and the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra (RSO).
- Serves on the Legislative Advocacy Committee with the Roanoke Regional Chamber of Commerce.
- Youth leader at Bethlehem Baptist Church.
- In 2009, Michael also started Hamlar Enterprises, which is a business brokerage firm which has managed more than a million in local transactions across Southwest Virginia.
- 2012, Michael and his wife, Katina, established Hamlar Properties, which is a property real estate firm that manages and oversees real estate transactions.
- Adjunct professor at American National University in Salem, VA.
- Recognized by The Blue Ridge Journal as one of the “Top 20 leaders under 40”, Michael has a true love for business and enjoys being on the cutting edge of change.
- Board of Directors for Noah Christian Academy and has been an integral part of establishing this private, Christian school, which now effectively educates Roanoke Valley children in grades K – 5.
- Member of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Kiwanis Club of Roanoke, spearheaded the founding of the Builder’s Club at Breckinridge and Lucy Addison Middle Schools.
- He is married to Katina Casey Hamlar and has three children, Simone (10), Michal (6), and Micah (3).